Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How to tell if a toy poodle is a purebred?

I'm looking into buying a toy poodle off of someone who says he is purebred but has no papers. How do you tell if the dog is purebred before spending the money?|||It is probably a scam, dont do it|||Look at both parents. And trust the breeder. If you don't, don't buy. Even papers mean nothing if someone lies. I can have 5 Chihuahuas you will not Know which male fathered the litter. Or if a dog jumped the fence for that matter. It's like a "reputable car lot". Buyer Beware!|||Don't Buy without research and studying the Breed and the Breeder.You can go to Pets Mart or Pet co and get a book on Poodles and it will tell you all you need to know.Also I would want to see both Parents and siblings.I would want to see where they were raised as well .Be sure it has had at least 1 -2 shots and been wormed 1 Xper week along with mom and other pups.Make sure the pup is eating well and it should be at least 7-8 weeks old before leaving home. If it is too good to be true it is probally Not so Good.Be informed or be sorry. Good Luck!!!!!|||There's no good reason for a dog not to have papers if it's a purebred. It only costs something like $20 for the breeder to register the entire litter, so don't let them tell you it was too expensive or something like that.|||Poodles always have alot of hair in their ears, check that. Do you know anyone who has bought puppies from this person? If they are purebred he can register them with Continental Kennal Club with no problem 1-800-952-3376. I can't understand why he doesn't have them registered at all. A purebred poodle will also have curly hair all the way to the skin. I'd be afraid to buy 1 since I am a Yorkie breeder I would need to see the parents and the puppy before I would buy 1. People always want to see the parents. If you live near Nashville, TN I can hook you up with 2 poodle breeders that have registered dogs.|||Don't buy the dog if you want a purebred dog with no papers. Even dogs registered with ACA and sometimes UKC (sorry for anyone who does register their purebred dogs with those organizations) may not be purebred. Go to akc.org and look up breeders in your area. Ask them about any older dogs they may have that they no long want to see if you can get a discount. Most times breeders have a handful of dogs they don't want anymore, but cant find good homes for.





And they only way I can tell if it is a purebred poodle is a shaved face showing the chizled cheek bones of the poodle. but that is not always a good rule either. Most backyard breeders produce for the hell of it, just to make money, not to maintain the original look and appeal of the breed. I do not know where you live, but I show poodles and am contact with many out standing breeders on the east coast of the US and can email me privately at websurfers2@comcast.net.|||Ask what agency/organization the dog is registered under. The owner should be able to request a duplicate of the pedigree. On the other hand, if you really like the dog what does it matter if it is purebred?|||With out he papers you will never know...sometimes with papers you never know. I wouldn't pay for a dog with out papers. I was on a business trip once in NC. I ended up buying my Shih Tzu there.. I had the papers I seen both parents..I did all I was suppose to do . When my little baby grew up I look down at him and said baby you may be a Shih Tzu but something else got in there somewhere lol. So I got him neuter and love him just the same. So even then you can't be sure. But don't be spending a lot of money for a non paper puppy. But if you see the puppy and like the puppy by all means buy him..Papers don't make the puppy the puppy makes the puppy. Just like my little Shih and what ever lol.|||Unless you're able to see both parents, on site, then continue looking.|||To be honest you can't not unless the person has both parents and they are registered.





If the person is asking a fair bit , walk away, you have no idea where the dog came from eg puppymill whether is has genetic problems etc. If it had came from a very good quality breeder than they have no rights to resell the dog. So this alone suggests an irresponsibly bred puppy.





You would be better off looking for one placed through a rescue eg petfinder.com





If you want a purebred go to a reputable breeder who does health screening, it can save you a lot of potential grief.





I made the mistake of doing what you are considering, the dog happened to have rage syndrome because it occurs sporadically, I had no idea the dog had, nor did the person who was selling tell me, they did charged quite a bit even though not papered, I had recently lost another due to a longterm illness and was a bit short on cash after all the vet costs and wanted another dog to fill the void left by his passing. so I bopught this dog and within a year after several attacks and bites and vet confirming what was wrong I end having to put him down as well. It was a very painful lesson for me





The problem is you have no idea why the person is getting rid of, they may say it simply because they have no time for on hopes of recovering some of the money they spent on the dog, but it could be a problem with temperament, a genetic problem like legge calve perthes or patella problems that the owner cannot afford to treat, if you buy the dog the burden of dealing with problems then falls on you. People that simply want get rid of a dog tends to charge far less then someone who is looking to recover their money when they find a dog that they purchased has some kind of problems, it is just something I have noted as a result if I am looking for and adult dog I prefer to go thru rescues now, if they are aware of a health problem they are mostly honest about letting an adopter know as it helps to be able to ensure the dog does get a successfull placement. I have adopted special needs dogs by knowing what is wrong with the dog I can determined whether I have the skills and or finances to be to properly care for the dog.





When I am looking for a purebred puppy, I choose the breeder checking first what health problems are common in the breed and finding out if the breeder has been doing genetic testing prior to breeding to ensure and guarantee the health of pups they sell, thy also demand the pup back should for any reason you decide you cannot keep a pup. Guarantees alone are worthless, it only means you get purchase price back or another pup, but any money you invested in the pup is not recoverable and the majority of puppy buyers are too attached to a pup to be willing to return it and that is what many poor quality breeders count on buyers when they sell a pup.|||You can't. Mix breeds can look very similar to true poodles. If he has no papers, he can't prove anything.|||Papers are the sure thing for insuring the dog is infact a purebred dog.


It is very difficult to detect by looking at the dog.


Purebred female toy puppies $2,000.00 with papers.


Purebred male toy puppies $1,500.00 with papers.


Without papers, it is $500.00 less.


My suggestion would be to do some research on the internet about prices for toy poodles. There are tons of sites to help you know for sure, so you do not get ripped off, from what you actually want.


Ask to see both the mother and father of the toy puppy you want. Then you will see if they are toys themselves. Otherwise you can end up buying a full size poodle and not a toy.


Just read your second comment. A toy only weighs between 4 and 5 pds. A regular poodle is between 7 and 8pds. So, it is a regular poodle. Actually they are not that much bigger then the toys in some way.


Personally, even without the papers, if your interested in the poodle, it is still a good price. But, again, the dog is not a toy. But, hey he is a poodle...and they are expensive any which way. And they don't get bigger then 8 pds. 9 at the most.|||Please I beg of you do not buy a pup from these people they are running a scam on people. If they are trying to charge people for pups with no papers something is wrong.|||ask to see the parents. other than that ask LOTS of questions. a repetable breeder will have no problem answering all of them. someone tryin to make a buck will prob get irritated or not have answers for all of them... be sure to listen for BS

No comments:

Post a Comment