Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Does your Golden Retriever like to shake a toy violently back and forth?

My GR's favorite toy is a pull toy. Every so often she will pick it up and violently shake it back and forth. What I'm thinking is that it is instinctual behavior, like she was retrieving a game bird and dealing the coup de grace death blow.|||Maybe the death blow or maybe just living for the moment %26amp;


having the time of its life!|||yeah most dogs do that|||my golden retreiver X poodle does that !


hell chase after his toy then shake it in his mouth back and fouth (side to side) really fast then drop it and keep biting it|||It is a normal dog function. All dogs do it.|||..its fine...shes a playful dog. My lab does crap like that. do you notice that whn your dog gets mad, she finds a way to destroy something?lol..mine does|||I've seen that in many dogs, not just Golden Retrievers. My friend's German Shepherd/Collie mix does that with like every toy.|||I dont have a Golden Retriever.....


but My Labrador Retriever does that and usually ends up smacking me in the head with it. She also has a powefull otter-like tail for swimming. I have just one thing to say about that: OWW!!!!|||That's definitely a dog thing and not unique to any breed. My little chihuahuas do the same thing and "yes" I believe it is to make sure whatever they have is very dead.|||yeah most dogs do that..


i dont have a GR (yet! =] ) but my bichon does that|||All dogs do that, but in my personal experience the ones that seem to do it the most are the terriers. Good way to kill those rats.





This behavior has nothing to do with the retrieving instinct. Actually a good bird dog should be so gentle with the bird that there will be no puncture marks from the teeth or no broken bones from being held in the jaws. My hunting dogs (spaniels) love to shake their tug toys to death, but when it comes to working the field or carrying their toys or whatever they find on the floor in they have the softest and most gentle jaws.|||This is a very normal thing for a dog to do. With my dog, he always did this. Dogs do this because dogs are from wolves, so they still have what it takes to be a wolf. Wolves shake their food back and forth violently to tear their piece of meat apart so that they can eat it. So don't worry, this is not irregular.

No comments:

Post a Comment