Friday, September 23, 2011

Do I have to worry about a Toy dog scratching my hard wood floor?

I'm planning on bringing a small toy dog into our home. My husband just had the floors resurfaced and polished. I want a toy dog for the home. It will most likely weigh less than 10 lbs. Will these dogs hurt the floor? Or is it only large dogs?|||Keep the dog's nails trimmed and it should be okay. It's like having a cat at that point and my cat has never damaged any of our floor surfaces.





I have heard other people suggest getting rubber backed rugs for the dog while it is a crazed puppy so it can get some traction and cause less damage.|||Even my large dogs haven't scratched our floors. The floors should be fine as long as you make sure their nails are trimmed regularly and smooth. Good luck!|||A TOY dog won't scratch the floors because they aren't real, most are placed on shelves.|||Just clip the nails and you shouldnt have to worry about it|||No, not a toy but get a small one. I love hardwood floors but it drives me crazy to hear the tic tac of large dogs nails as he walks around plus the damage. They run skid and slide and try to get balance by digging nails in!! Yikes!!!|||I have hardwood floors and toy breed dogs. I do nail grinding on my dogs nails to make them smoother and rounded, with no sharp edges, but the reality is that they can still dent the wood with their nails.





If you are that worried about your hardwood floors, maybe dog ownership is not for you. It is a lifestyle that accepts some damage to floors.





Edit: the only dog owners who have hardwood floors with no marks from dog nails are the ones who don't ever let the dogs in those rooms, or they are not telling you the truth.|||I have two large dogs and there are no scratches on the hard wood floors (not ones I can see anyway.) I keep their nails trimmed and never apply polish or shiner to the floor so that they don't slip and slide around (because trying to gain their footing is what will make marks on your floor.) Also, my dogs don't use the upper two floors of the house to charge around and wrestle. They get their exercise outside or in the den on the carpet. But simple walking on wood floors with trimmed nails should not completely ruin floors.|||If the feet on the toy are sharp then yes you should worry about scratching.

No comments:

Post a Comment