Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How to get the pee smell out of a toy that cannot be washed?

My almost three year old got in her toy box after my second daughter was born and went potty on her toys for attention. I was able to wash everything except this programed talking elmo the my late father bought for her and I cannot stand to put it in the trash. Is there anything I can do. I put kid and pet cleaner (all natural) from target on there but it still smells like pee. HELP it's her favorite toy.|||Try baking soda..and any freshinging spray...|||Can it be replaced? I mean, if you can't get it out, then why keep the urine saturated toy? What about looking online and ordering a new one if you can't get that out?|||old fashion soap and water hand wash it with a towel soap and water and sit it out side to dry |||My only suggestions would be to use a sponge, and surface clean it with vinegar and water. Don't be shy to get it fairly saturated, just squeeze the water out with a towel as you go. Then put it outside to dry. I hope this helps.|||I'd try Nature's Miracle - it's what I use for my cats and it takes away all their odors. I've heard that baking soda works too in different solutions, I've yet to try it though. |||try clorox spray or clorox wipes they get rid of odors I spray my daughter's toys all the time with that even the electronic ones and they still work|||I have no clue if this will work, its just an idea off the top of my head





put the toy in a bag with baking soda and shake it around... maybe leave it for an hour or more.....





then remove elmo from bag and shake as much of the baking soda off as possible....... if you can take the handheld vacumn or the vacumn cleaner hose to it....





or go to a pet superstore and get a de-stunk pet odor removal spray...


I believe it is called de-stunk.. it is a white and red bottle





or pet odor remover for carpet that has enzymes to remove smell








febreeze it????|||Is this a plush toy or a hard plastic toy? If it is a plush toy then hand scrub it with soap and water being careful of the electronic parts and then set it outside in the sun to dry. The sun will likely bleach out the color a bit but it will also probably clear up the smell a lot. It probably won't ever be the same, but you will have salvaged it.


If it's hard plastic then the smell is probably stuck in some little crevice somewhere. I'd take it apart as much as possible and wipe it down with cleanser.





Good luck - I understand not wanting to part with the toy. My father passed away when my daughter was a little over a year (about 1 1/2 years ago) and I would keep on trying to salvage some toy that he bought her too. |||There's a product called 'urine gone' that I've used to get pee smell out of mattresses (I used to work in a nursing home) and it worked pretty well. I've also used it for pet stains on carpet.|||Is there a way to remove something like an electronic box that might be inside, wash the toy, and then put the box back in?





Another approach may be to carefully use a mild detergent (like Ivory liquid, which was at one time, I believe, approved for use on baby items) and work up a lather, wash the item with something like strong paper towels or clean sponges - and then use damp towels or sponges to remove the suds. It can require care, but if you do something like that you can usually get it mostly clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment